View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 05:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehartigan View Post
I originally asked this in the Acoustic Amplification forum:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=592839
@ljguitar suggested this might be a better place for it, so here it is.

I'm looking to replace the Shadow NanoFlex HD under saddle pickup in my Epi Century Zenith. I'm looking for something that will best capture a true acoustic sound through a PA system with minimal signal processing, though I'm not averse to adding something like a Para Acoustic DI box, if necessary. FWIW, my budget is not unlimited, but neither is it anemic.

I'm thinking maybe an undersaddle pickup combined with a microphone along the lines of an LR Baggs Anthem. The problem with the Anthem, if it is, indeed, a problem, is that my Zenith is an archtop with a floating bridge. Thus, no bridge plate to mount the mic component. Also, the F-holes may pose a challenge for installation, not to mention that the preamp and controls are designed to mount inside a round sound hole.

@James May has me salivating over a project that is about to bear fruit involving an Archtop, Ultra Tonic pickup, and a blend pot scheme, so I'm looking forward to more detail on that.

Recommendations? Suggestions?
Mike,
For many years I amplified my 1930 Gibson L-5 with a Fishman SBT-E soundboard pickup and a Crown GLM-200 mini condenser mic.

The mic was suspended under the pickguard, hanging in front of the lower F hole. The SBT-E was mounted on the face of the guitar near the treble end of the bridge.

They were both wired to a 1/4" stereo TRS jack. I ran it through a Rane AP-13 at first, and then through a Fishman Pocket Blender.

It was the best of both worlds in terms of higher volume acoustic archtop sound.

There were no controls mounted on the instrument. Everything was outboard, plugged into whatever PA system was available.

Regards,
Howard Emerson