View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Some Large Condenser Mic Placements

I'm still trying to run a new recording setup thru it's paces to (re) learn what's where, etc, and thought I try a few mic placement experiments - always fun and instructive - to work on. Also 815C posted a nice sounding track a few days ago with a setup I'd never seen before - mics horizontal, one aimed at the ceiling, the other at the floor, so I wanted to try that out.

Here's my results. Just a short noodle with three placements: the horizontal one, Mid-Side and Spaced Pairs. I'm using a pair of Brauner VM1s into an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt, into Logic on a Mac. There's not much processing here, a tiny touch of EQ to taste, and a bit of reverb. I tried to match levels but between differences in performance, and different percieved levels, it's far from perfectly matched. The differences in the mic placement should be evident, maybe more dramatic in headphones. These are all pretty quick and dirty, and all could be changed with even slight movement of the mics, so take them with a grain of salt, but I'd be curious what people hear in these.

Here's a soundcloud playlist:

PlayList

Or here's the direct link to the individual tracks:

Horizontal

Mid-Side

Spaced pairs