View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
I'm guessing this has been beaten to death, but thought I'd ask anyway. Messing around with Garage Band, I play my Taylor 313ce with an AT2020 mic, through the USB 96. Sounds pretty good, although I'm still learning mic placement. Then I played the guitar through an amp with the mic placed strategically. The quality seems to sound better, but I can't put my finger on it. Is this purely subjective?
I submitted a song on "show and tell" (Can't Find My Way Home), Direct to mic, no amp. Any thoughts? THANKS!
In general YES ..... The phrase "The quality seems to sound better" besides being a bit vague and prone to ambiguity, is usually purely subjective

Being more specific will result in more specific and "better" replies

To clarify: a "USB 96" is what exactly, a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 ?
And "an amp" means what exactly ?
And "placed strategically" means what exactly

Because the specific details of these general phrases will in fact impact the ability to perhaps move the general subjective " sound better" more towards the objective.

Also note that the title "Direct vs Amped" is somewhat vague .... To clarify the term "direct" in recording parlance means direct from the pickup on the guitar straight into a DI (direct input) (either outboard or on the digital interface or mixing console) and there is no "mic" or Guitar amp" involved in recording "Direct ".

It sounds to me like you are saying you personally ( subjectively) like the sound of mic'ing your "guitar amp" over mic'ing your guitar ,,,,, Yes ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-10-2019 at 07:55 AM.