View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
....current threads about playing out combined with my relatively recent withdrawal from the music scene has led to ponder my solitary musical pursuits...after all....even when I played and rehearsed several times a week..which was my typical involvement for 40 years....I still played most of the time by myself....nobody listening....

...I LOVE that!!!.....these days I can learn any song I want...play it exactly how I want to play it...tweak an arrangement any time I feel like it....my level of musical enjoyment is as good or better than it ever has been....

....it’s hard for me believe how obsessed I was with performing for so long...starting out as a class clown in grade school....I have a BFA degree in theatre for Pete’s sake...(the only degree more worthless than marine biology)....I used to love to perform...

...nowadays it’s all by myself...and it’s all good...how about you other hideaways??.

1) I almost got a degree in Marine Biology (seriously). I was a super dedicated Great Lakes diver and there is a Great Lakes research center at my undergrad college, etc etc. Glad I didn't but that was certainly a passion of mine. My daughter is living in St. Kitts now so I am planning on diving again.

2) I am the exact opposite of you. I totally 100% agree with what you said about playing for yourself. I never ever ever wanted to perform and I only played music because I obsessively love it.

I've played out a couple times this summer with a really popular band in town (so I got spoiled with a stage full of people that made me sound good and gigantic crowds). Now I've got the bug to play out more.

So I spent my life obsessing over playing just for me. Now, being almost empty nesters, I am planning a future with a little performing in it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240