View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Glad to help you out. Keep in mind folks, I only know enough to be dangerous but I have the tools and toys. So I am taking on the position of guide, not teacher!
Next time you are over we will pick out your wood. If you think you want to tackle making the neck we should find you the wood so it can settle in here as long as possible.
I am not sure if I have Western Red Cedar. I think I have "cedar". I'll wait for you to go through the stack
On the chance you want a Calamari Maple I can sell you that set. It's 3 dimensional x2. A real wow if you like the stuff. I ain't a 3d Maple guy.
That wood combo you are planning sure sounds like that McKnight we recorded you with . The one our buddy Grant bought.
I must admit that that McKnight did have a nice tone but I really like the tonal balance of the Taylor GS and R Taylor Style 1. Next time I'm at Empire I'll have to take a closer look at them, particularly the GS5.

I've been looking online for plans of the GS and they're not available but by looking at the specs on Taylor's site and the basic specs for the OLF MJ plans on stewmac.com I see that they're roughly the same size in the lower bout. The GS is a little deeper and the waist doesn't appear to be a slim though so it might be a tad larger overall.

BTW, no can do on the maple or than Cuban mahogany. We'll talk about woods and necks next time I see you. Once that's settled and I have a set of plans to work from then we'll do an official kick off.