View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 07:56 AM

Thanks Charlie!!

I've started and quit jazz chord melody several times over the years. I just couldn't seem to connect with the whole "learn all the chord arpeggio's in all 12 keys & learn all the scales, etc.. Now solo over the chord changes" routine... I could never connect the dots and got frustrated.

Martin's book "Beyond Chord Melody" has really opened up my eyes in a way that others methods didn't. I'm now seeing the connections between chords & actually know why I'm doing things... LOL.

While I'm only half way through the book, I'm able to construct rudimentary jazz standard chord melodies that sound pretty freaking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieb View Post
Now that's serious study right there. Martin's playing and musical knowledge is major. I'd place him right up there in the top of players from any decade. As you prob already know he offers personal lessons on his site. I've been tempted and if I was young, it would definitely be on. It's not easy by any measure, but it opens up the universe in musical knowledge a little at a time. You slowly start to hear and see things ie lightbulb moments after moments. I too have been obsessed with chord melody for the past 6-7 years. The more I learn the more I realize just how little I knew/know.

So big kudos, you on the right track
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop