View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
A lot of people don't know what Titebond is.

Titebond *IS* hide glue. Hot hide glue is crystallized and liquified under heat. Titebond is the same glue with a urea(iirc) based solvent. Once the solvent evaporates and cures you have the same protein bond that is reversible with heat.
There is a "Titebond" Liquid Hide Glue. It is loaded with urea and a whole bunch of other chemicals to keep it from spoiling. I have read reviews that say it's OK, but it has so much other stuff in it, I question the purity. It also has a pretty short shelf life, and I have seen stuff in stores that was past its prime already. Also, I have tried it and I have also tried Old Brown Glue(Hide glue with just Urea and no other chemicals), and I wouldn't use either on an instrument I cared about, as they don't dry to a crystalline hardness, but stay a bit rubbery. But that's just me. I assumed, and maybe it was incorrect, that the OP was talking about Titebond Original which is an OK synthetic glue for general guitar making. I have nothing against it, and I use LMI White Glue, which is similar in some ways but dries harder and clearer. However, I wouldn't use it for crack repair due to the issue of not being able to repair the repair if something goes wrong. I wouldn't use LMI White either for the same reason. Neither will stick to itself once dried in the crack.

I agree that if the crack is open, the guitar should be humidified until it closes up by itself. Good way to do that is put it on a stand, put a dish on the floor under the guitar with a wet sponge in it, and put a plastic bag over all of it. A clear bag is nice so you can see what's happening, but any bag, like a garbage bag, will work.

Fish glue is a good liquid collagen glue that you can get in small amounts from Lee Valley. They sell a little screw top bottle with a brush in the top, similar to a Nail polish bottle. Fish glue is liquid at room temp, has a long open time, which helps for things like this, cleans up easily with water, and dries pretty clear. It does, however take longer to fully cure than other glues - 12 hours, at least - 24 would be better. With Fish glue, you can even wash dried glue off with water. The good thing is that it sticks to itself, like hot hide glue does.