View Single Post
Old 02-11-2022, 11:55 AM

If you have interest, I don't see why you would wait. Especially helpful if you have a 2nd guitar to leave in open tuning, but not necessary. Here's a few things I've learned on my slide journey.

I can play slide on any guitar, but I do have preferences. Right now my Waterloo WL-14 is my guitar of choice. Someday a resonator will make its way into my collection.

Experiment with different slides. I must have 8-10, but only one of those is truly comfortable. It's a tapered glass that is shorter than the width of my guitar neck.

I play with slide on ring finger, but its a matter of choice. Find if that or the pinky is most comfortable and develop from there.

I found hitting the notes I wanted to play was pretty easy, but getting rid of all the extra noise I didn't want was the hard part. Learning to mute behind the slide, muting with the right hand becomes the major challenge. Find some basic slide lessons (YouTube or dvd), then set out to just play some clear, precise notes. Take it slow and find some sweet singing notes.

Find a song to hone your technique on. I've played Walking Blues, Clapton Unplugged version in open G for years, and still use that as the tune to refine my technique. Find a simple tune and set out to own it.

Good luck, its a really fun addition to your playing!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36