View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 AM

First off, I'd like to say a sincere thanks to all of you who've joined in the discussion - AGF is just about the only forum I've been on where the members care enough to reply in any great depth and with any consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
We don't know what mics, what mic technique, what room treatment, monitoring, conversion - all of that matters way more...
Scott et al, I stated in my original post I'm using a SE Z5600 valve mic through an Alesis io26 audio interface through to a pair of Focal monitors. The mic and monitors are pretty decent, the interface might be a weak link in the chain, so I was thinking a good mic pre to bypass that link (at least the inbuilt pres).

I like the sound of my room, not too reverberant or boxy. I've treated it to a certain extent though not scientifically.

I've been recording for about 20 years, so I'm not a newbie. I've been playing the guitar for many years, though only taken it seriously the last 6 or 7. I see myself as a singer/songwriter who plays the guitar to support his compositions (not a guitarist who sings).

I recently left my job to give myself one last chance at doing something with my music. My redundancy payment will last me the next 6 months at least. I'm happy to spend a bit of that cash if it gets me better results that encourage me to play and record more.

I'm going to make a decision tomorrow - I may buy online through a supplier that gives a money back guarantee, that way if the naysayers are right, I've not lost out!

Thanks again guys - in the meantime, keep the comments coming!