View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
The Rainsong is a more or less known quantity, since I have two already.

I'm thinking the Parlor isn't that much smaller than my Shorty, since the Shorty is fairly shallow in the body, even if it is otherwise the size of an OM.

I've always used my (Larrivee) Parlor as a throw in the car when you need a guitar, car camping, and play at the computer type of instrument. When I play out I usually take a bigger guitar, either the Shorty or my Larrivee OM-03R.

I think the big draw of the X7 is it's only a bit smaller than the Parlor (either one) and it's literally half the price right now.
As noted by others, these are two are very different guitars. The X7 is a travel guitar, while the Rainsong Parlor, while certainly way more travel friendly than the Shorty, it still has a standard scale, and it gives up little to nothing tonally. I took my RS Parlor to Alaska and it was a joy to travel with. When I need something smaller, I take my Blackbird Rider, which is by far the best "sub compact" travel guitar on the planet.

BTW, if the price of the RS Parlor is holding you back, know that Rainsong has a new Parlor in the works that they haven't announced yet, the P12S. This model borrows the finish found on the Smokey, and is priced $200 below the gloss models. Without electronics the MAP is $1549. The new finish will also be available on the Shorty with the same $200 savings. You heard it here first folks! If that's still to high, you might want to also look at the Journey OF660? It's as travel friendly as a guitar can get, has a standard scale like the Rainsong, and comes equipped with their version of the K&K Mini. Price is $1100 now, but will go to $1200 starting next month.

Speaking the K&K, if you end up going with the X7 but decide you don't want the B Band, be sure to have them build the guitar so it can accept a K&K. The K&K is an excellent pickup for a travel guitar, but apparently the standard X7 will not accept it without modification.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 03-29-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Corrected Price