View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong

You need to consider what you want out of an instrument. Personally, I own two rainsongs (WS & a J-12) and for what they are, they are great. I use them for gigging and beat the crap out of them, I tote them around without worrying about temp or humidity in my car, I play them at -5 around campfires in the winter, I play them on my boat and on the beach without concern for salt spray, I mean , I've done just about everything except fry an egg on the back of them in the hot summer sun, and they're always in tune, the action is always perfect and they always sound the same, which in my opinoin is pretty good. If I treated a taylor like that, I'd be on my 5th one in 2 years by now... Since I'm a guitar collector as well as a player, I needed an instrument, or instruments, that I could absolutely thrash and not worry one iota about, and the Rainsong is the ONLY guitar that fit that bill for me. As far as the "feel" of carbon fiber vs. wood and some people complaining about it?!?!? Hmmm. Personally, I think that if you were blind folded and handed a Rainsong and a Taylor, you wouldn't say, "Hey, this one is carbon fiber and this one is Sapele & Sitka." It's a guitar, it feels like a guitar, it plays like a guitar and it sounds like a guitar. The only real difference is that it's about 1/2 the weight of a traditional guitar, which isn't a bad thing when you have it on a strap hanging from your neck for a 4 hour gig. I admit that the style is not for everyone, I mean a BLACK woven carbon fiber guitar is not necessarily the prettiest thing in the world, unless you're a cyclist and into the whole carbon fiber sub-culture like I am, but the Rainsongs are great instruments that can take neglect, abuse and punishment that would crack, warp, and destroy a traditionally built wooden instrument. Just my 2 cents...