View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
I have an MPA-70, and can highly recommend it. I paid $800 for mine, but I would easily compare it to guitars costing much more. Including the Eastman E20P which I did consider and played. I got the MPA-70, so that will tell you something about which I prefer, though I'll admit the price was part of the decision. I got the Alvarez used, the Eastman I looked at was new and retail was $1,200.

I didn't get to play the two side by side, so I can't really tell you the exact difference in sound. But they are very similar guitars. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. For picking, the MPA-70 really shines. I don't play it with a pick, I have other guitars for that, but I have tried it and it holds up well to strumming. Since it doesn't have a pickguard, I don't care to strum it. I got it specifically for finger picking, and it sings. Has a bright tone, but solid bass response too. A lot of depth to the sound. This isn't a small parlor guitar, though it's smaller than an OM. It's really similar in size to an OO guitar.

The finish on it is excellent, the pearl inlay around the sound hole and around the top is a high grade, and gives it a high $ look. The gloss finish is superb. The only defect I've found is a very small bump in the back of the neck behind the first fret. It's ever so small, and I've never felt it while playing, not that it would likely bother me if I did. Other than this insignificant imperfection, I can find nothing wrong with it.

I don't think this guitar is made anymore, so if you can find one used in good shape, it's worth picking up. (They do make the MPA66, all Mahogany, and maybe a MPA60 model still?) Mine is a few years old I think, maybe a 2015 model? I think it's a real bargain at anything under $1,000, which is what it should sell for if you can find one. I've seen them as low as $700, but not sure of the condition at that price. If you want a new parlor with spruce top & rosewood b&s all solid, you'll have to get an Eastman E20P, which at $1,200 is still a good guitar buy. You would be getting a warranty with that at least. But as long as you can either check out the guitar before hand, or have a return option, I can see no reason not to try a used Alvarez.
Thank you so much. I was ready to pull the trigger on on an MPA70 in excellent shape. I decided to hold off and get opinions here and someone walked into the shop and bought it. I'll keep looking for one. Again thank you very much for the information!