View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

I believe that the Alvarez Masterworks likely provide some of the best values in their price categories. $600 and under for acoustics, $700 and under with pick-up.

Their all mahogany models really are remarkable. I've had extensive experience with the Dreadnought and the Grand Auditorium versions.

Consider the $600 MDA66SHB - an all mahogany dreadnought. Remarkable shimmery, reverby, round tonality. A pleasure to fingerstyle on and properly projective. Wonderful tone.

AND you get:

1. An elegantly beautiful cream with tan trimming arched hardshell case that sells for $150. No desire to upgrade the case. This effectively makes the guitar a $450 net cost instrument.

2. All solid wood mahogany.

3. Forward shifted scalloped bracing that is the same with their top end Yairi that are multiple thousands of dollars. That's one thing I respect about Alvarez - they give you the best bracing pattern that they like without forcing you to pay thousands to get a particular type of bracing position and scalloping. The production cost doesn't change whether the X brace is forward shifted or not so Alvarez just gives it to you. This is a very different approach from the major brand that we all know of. I REALLY respect Alvarez for this.

4. Bone nut and saddle. Both examples I spent a lot of time with had very high saddles too. So no upgrades to be done.

5. Sunburst gloss finish. Nicely done though the finish is not of the caliber of the high end American companies.

6. Nice action out of the box - most never have to have a set up done out of the box. So no set up charges.

7. Abalone rosette.

8. Abalone trim around the top binding. (seriously?)

9. Gold plated tuners with real EBONY buttons. (seriously?)

10. Ebony buttons w. abalone inlay.

11. D'Addario EXP16 strings. I like these.

About the only cost cutting feature is the rosewood fretboard and bridge.

Again, all these are pointless IF the tone is not wonderful. They are. BUT you do need to break the guitars in and it can really improve dramatically.

I think I may have just helped Alvarez market their Masterworks instruments. Really, you get one and the only thing you may want to change is the strings to your preference.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by PTL; 10-08-2019 at 02:31 AM.