View Single Post
Old 03-13-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm where to start ? Lets try to simplify the above

First the Headphone output on the new Mac Studio as far as I can tell is an analog output, (not digital)... So what it actually "does" is output line level analog signal , and there is no "does 96kHZ " or any sample rate (96k or otherwise ) involved in its output..
I am guessing what you actually meant is the sound card that feeds it, can support up to 96k ? Here is a hint,,, if your going to try to call out someone for correct terminology (review -preview ) you might want to try using it first...just a suggestion ....

Second Not only is your notion of "sufficient" totally subjective
But the all the rest of your unrelated examples have nothing to with the quality of the computers A/D or D/A conversion or the quality of its analog ins and outs and preamp .... otherwise known as .....its sound card (like I said ) And the sample rate it supports is also meaningless as to the quality (or not) of it's conversion or analog circuitry

So my "reasoning" is real simple The conversion and analog circuitry on my interface is far far superior to any computer sound card (even this new one) not to mention the quality of it's mic pre's. Because if the Mac Studio did have as good of conversion and analog section as my interface,, the base price would start a $6000... not $2000.. So why wouldn't I listen to Sound Cloud or YouTube thru my interface ?

And heck yes I like buying equipment, if I didn't I would not be interested music or home audio recording ... I would play canasta and eat Bon Bon's YMMV.
first....where to start....

"As well as this impedance detection and adaptive voltage output, the new 3.5mm headphone jack features "a built-in digital-to-analog converter." Apple says this supports up to 96kHz, and means users "can enjoy high-fidelity, full-resolution audio."

Second ...macs don't have soundcards. Audio is on the motherboard. And it's better than when macs had soundcards. Talking about the new specs...

"MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) and MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) feature a high-quality built-in hardware DAC that can convert up to 96 kHz digital audio to analog audio. Connect an analog device like headphones or speakers directly to the headphone jack on your Mac and monitor your audio at full resolution without needing an external DAC."

.....so that should easily serve 99% of video editors.....like the previewer discussed, and for listening to soundcloud or youtube ....for any except the most hypercritical user.

....and I don't like buying equipment. Equipment is just a means to an end. I'd prefer to spend the week in Venice, or give my sons a week in Puerto Escondido. Life is far too short to waste my resources on 'things'. That's the reason I don't deplete the life of my equipment.

And ilok won't be intentionally targeted. US ip addresses will be however. Luckily it's not my concern.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp