View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

When I was a kid (in my late teen and early 20's) I'd sit in with guys who had gigs in bars/restaurants here where we live. Wasn't getting paid (they were) but basically got fed and some beers. I always enjoyed it but not enough to strike out on my own. Time goes by...around 2009 the church we belong to stated a blended contemporary service on Thursday evenings at 6:00. I got volunteered by my wife and her best friend. And the music director was not to be told no. So reluctantly I went. Hadn't played in front of people in many, many years. Scared and rusty from a playing/singing standpoint. But I went...and now they can't get rid of me! Play most Thursdays and some Sunday mornings. I really enjoy it and have lost most of the fear associated with playing in front of people.
I gather with others to play at gatherings and circle jams. And do a fair number of weddings, funerals, and memorial services. At the ripe old age of 67 I'm better than I've ever been mostly due to playing each week and being stretched to learn new music all the time.
That being said I'll play for myself (or with my wife) most everyday...it's just a part of me?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!