View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
What a labor of love and how generous of your time and skills. Thank you.
Hi Started,

Thanks for your kind thoughts and encouragement!

When I started my YouTube channel back in 2016 I figured I would just be recording a few covers and originals and see if anyone even took notice. Then people started to ask if I would put together a tutorial on how I played something. Don McLean's "Vincent" was the first time I was asked and so the first tutorial I made. (That tutorial has at present over 85K views, obviously because people love the song.)

What I found on YouTube, in particular, is that people are not as interested in being entertained as much as they are in learning how to play the guitar well. So, every once in a while I dig in and put a tutorial together because I know that's what most people really want.

Ironically, I have received some fairly nasty criticisms on my (free) tutorials because some people are impatient and don't want me to do any talking. I think some talking is fundamentally important, but I have worked to reduce the talking by using more charts to impart a whole lot more information. Trouble is, those charts take a lot of time to make.

The reality is, I can't make everyone happy. But I have learned a lot by facing up to the criticisms and making adjustments. I have also started several tutorials in recent months that have never been completed because they just require so much time! I should probably go back to them and finish!

Thanks for your kind encouragement Started!

- Glenn