View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 05:51 PM

I used the SA220 for years, and still have it. I've been using the SA330X, with sub and mixer, for three months now.

I do still have a Fishman Loudbox acoustic amp, QSC K10s, and a Mackie mixer.

Here are the primary reasons I like the Fishman SA330X:

1. Easy to set up. Though I like to have a monitor pointed back at me, and separate mains for the audience, it's just a lot of extra set up and sound check. There are times I choose to do it, but when I'm hauling gear into bars three nights a week, I'll choose the convenience of the SA330X almost every time. There are numerous systems out there that accomplish this. I do like the "deluxe" carry bag (it should be standard with the system), and the sub and pole mount interface nicely with the main drivers. The add-on mixer is tiny, light, and hooks right on the pole via a plastic clip. It's sturdy enough, mostly because that little mixer is very light. That gives me 6 full range channels, with 48V phantom power, three band EQ, and reverb, for when I perform with the Morris Family Band.

2. The sub sounds good. I do a lot of percussive looping, and the sub provides that percussive kick/snare/beatbox that I do on the acoustic guitar and vocals. It's got an adjustable level control, and a roll off frequency that are valuable in different rooms. I do prefer the sub to the Bose systems that I used in the past... the adjustable level control is a nice added feature. If you're not into the "thumpy" sound, the sub is not really necessary (or perhaps even desirable) if you're playing an acoustic guitar. I do notice the sub when I'm playing without looping, but the "stick" sounds just fine without it.

3. Customer Service. Fishman has the best customer service ever. That's certainly my opinion. I've NOT had many problems with their gear over the years, and when I have, the folks at Fishman have always made it right, in a timely manner. When a boutique amp (I'll withhold the brand name) I had broke down a couple of years ago, I had to ship it out, and wait several weeks to get it back. When one of my loop pedals died after a few months, it took a number of emails just to get a response. With Fishman, when one of my SA220 channels went after six years, I called them and got a person in about 30 seconds. I took it to them (I live a couple of hours away), and when they couldn't fix it, they gave me a new unit. I can't say enough about their customer service.

Those are the big three reasons. As far as the sound of the SA330 system goes, it's voiced a little differently than the SA220. I only notice that difference when I set them up side by side. I've always liked the vocal sound, and the SA330 is no different. The EQ and Ant-Feedback notch are simple and effective. Simplicity is again, a key for me. Sure, I'd like a sweepable mid, or a parametric EQ, but the combination of convenience and sound quality is quite good. Similarly, I find the EQ and Anti-Feedback notch controls quite effective and easy to use, by ear, for acoustic guitar. I do use a 10 band graphic EQ on my pedal board, for a little added control over fine tuning the sound. I know the JBL Eon One has gotten a lot of attention recently. I used the two systems side by side (though not in front of an audience), and quite preferred the Fishman sound. I'll go into more detail if anyone is specifically interested in that line of thinking.

As far as power goes, it's ample for my needs. With the sub, it provides plenty of punch and thump for any venue that I play. I'm not blasting folks out, and most places require a little finesse in balancing the realities of folks eating/drinking/talking with the performance of live music. I think the SA330X is a good tool for this, and it's another reason I like the single stick approach to sound. I don't feel that the system sounds its best when pushed really hard, though most systems sound a little harsh when pushed towards their edge.

This is a pretty long rant, so I'll add one final note. The SA330x looks good. Mounted in the sub, with those clean lines, and that little mixer tucked in there, the system is aesthetically pleasing. And it's quite easy to run your mic cables very cleanly, if that matters to you. With my alternate mains and monitor approach, I've never mastered the clean stage... there are cables all over the place. All in all, the SA330X (with sub and mixer, and "deluxe" bag), is my favorite sound system for the working acoustic musician. And I know that Fishman has got my back!

Cheers,
Mike