Thread: F holes
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm thinking of the F holes for a thin-bodied, nylon string electric guitar. Have you run across any reference to nylon string instruments with F holes?
Didn't you read my answer to your question above?

Why would soundhole shape change anything on an electric instrument? I'm tempted to refer to the weird ones Ovation put in some of their instruments...

Remember that bowed instruments make almost the opposite trade-off in terms of sustain vs. projection, and can do so because sustain is handled by the player. There's also the question to what extent the arched design of top and bottom (and the coupling via a soundpost) interact with soundhole shape.

If you're thinking of this kind of instrument I see no reason why it wouldn't work equally well with nylon strings, provided you adapt plate thickness and/or bracing to the lower tension ... and use appropriate pickup(s)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-30-2019 at 06:48 PM.