View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Actually while doing Mark's books or other travis stuff I would recommend doing chromatic scales up and down the neck alternating right hand fingers, doing i m a i m a i m a (i = index; m = middle; a = ring); and other drills using i m then m a. It really isn't necessary to buy any particular book, as all you need is imagination, but Pumping Nylon would be a good one to get.

One of the drills I do is a reverse partial chromatic on the first, second and third strings. I just play the following frets on each string = 7 6 5 4 and use the following right hand sequence

1st string = a m i a
2nd string = m i a m
3rd string = i m a i

The left hand is simply 4 3 2 1 for each string. When I first started doing this is felt like I was rubbing my stomach and patting my head at the same time, but now it's easy.

Also doing arpeggios is good too.
Sorry for the decade thread necromancy, and thanks for this exercise, but do you mean:

"3rd string = i a m i" instead of:
"3rd string = i m a i"

to keep the "a m i" pattern all the way through, or do you actually swap it about on the 3rd string?

Just working my way through the first Mark Hanson book at the mo, and loving it. But looking to work towards a bit more finger independence right now, if possible.