View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
I think you have identified some real issues with my recordings, but I'm not sure you were completely hearing the harsh, piercing attack that is bothering me. I don't hear it so much on better speakers/headphones myself (I'm sure you have good equipment, better than mine, to listen on), but it simply drives me crazy on my iPod with some of these recordings.

Thanks so much for your feedback. It means a lot to be able to get feedback like this from people like yourself (and others here too) who are extremely knowledgeable and experienced.
My pleasure. I was hearing what sounded like Phosphor Bronze strings and some fret sizzle and the sound is very bright. Not knowing what type of guitar you are using puts me in the position of trying to interpret some aspects.

Interestingly enough, the UREI 813C speakers I'm listening to are quite close to the AKG 240s. One thing I did notice was in the first recording video you played the brighter of the two channels on the left. As it turns out, most people tend to want the brighter channel on the right. Swinging the panning that way helps a little, but the two channels are still so different that its is kind of stark.

I sometimes use a vertical array with the two mics placed about 7" apart and at a 110' angle, like this:

I point the mic array at the joint between the neck and body but it can be swung to balance the frequencies. That ensures that the two have roughly the same sound but it still offers a pretty good spread.

There is quite a bit of clashy zing in there, perhaps because you might be trying to project while recording in a more intimate setting. Try this: jack up the headphone volume a little so that when you really dig in it kind of rips off your head. It definitely gives you some incentive to back off a bit. Try the level up and down until you find a level that makes you play well.

Good luck,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)