View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Hey Phil, congratulations on the commission. I've really admired the aesthetics of John's L32 body shape, but the guitars I've played in that shape just didn't sit right for my playing style (on the left leg with neck upwards). This new OO shape looks much more ideal. What are the body dimensions?

What's the tonal goals? I assume since it's using John's new bracing, etc, it's geared for fingerstyle.

Nice wood selection!
Now there you go asking me questions I didn't even consider (tonal goals). You'd think I would have thought of that before now! But, honestly, I play a mixture of simple picking (you can call it fingerstyle but it's not melodic (yet)) and strumming. When I thought of what I'd do with an L32, it was a smaller version of what I do with all of my guitars - so it'd be more comfortable and yet still have great projection with my normal songs. I was intrigued by the mahogany, and seduced by the LS redwood. And I think John's new bracing will help no matter what I end up "finding inside" the guitar.

I don't have the exact specs of the bouts or waist - John drew it up, thought about it for a couple of weeks, then made the forms, but I haven't asked specific measurements. But here's a shot showing a draft of the new body ("00") compared to the L32. I'm not sure this is the exact final that John ended up with - but you can see the direction he was going. The new shape is in pen (darker); the L32 in pencil.

And thanks, Bobby! I hope you make it there and are able to check out all the great guitars. I'll be quite envious!!

Phil

Last edited by riorider; 04-29-2011 at 06:00 AM. Reason: fixing the picture links