View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Jim! These are all EXCELLENT questions!! I will address them in order...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I do have a question about your pedals on a music stand: how do you add in some vocal harmonies with the Gxt without taking your hand off the guitar?? Assuming you aren't doing a Jackie Chan type kick up to the music stand?
Good catch on the vocal harmonies. TCH sells a TCH companion microphone that has a button located physically ON the microphone that engages and disengages the harmony function with a press. We bought that right away and the wife loves it. She's gotten really good at it. It works great with songs that have quick harmony sections that are only a few measures long and change often. We also like having the pedal up as it makes changing the preset easier than having to bend over.

The mic alone sells for $169 and the TCH G-XT for $229 on Amazon but I just checked over there and there's a package deal for both (plus cable) for $239! Go figure. I can't remember what we paid...

TCH Mic alone

TCH Harmony-G XT alone

TCH G-XT and Mic - smoking deal!

Quote:
Also assuming you are using the BodyRez as a "set it and leave it" - do you use the BodyRez adjustment and still EQ with the mixer? Any redundancy there?
When setting up and EQ'ing to a new room or guitar I typically bypass the BodyRez and get the very best sound that I can without it. This typically is a back-and-forth between the mixer and the PARA for EQ's gains and levels. These days now that I've got it fairly well dialed in there's not much change. Once I get that tone to where it sounds best, I engage the BodyRez and dial it up and down to see where I like it most. The Martin tends to favor the BR up past half as it's a mid-forward guitar anyway so that scoops the mids and brings out the bass and highs more. The Emerald conversely tends to favor the BR on the lower side of half as it tends to have more pronounced lows and dialing it up past halfway makes the lows a little too predisposed to being over-driven and feeding back.

Quote:
TC Helicon has some good reverb options on their pedals (I have the Gxt and the Play Acoustic) - how does the reverb on the Gxt compare with that built into the Bose?
You are correct - the TC does have some decent reverb on it but for right now we've just been using the reverbs on the Behringer mixer which in all honest are not bad either. I've been pretty impressed at how well this inexpensive little mixer functions. It's got fair amount of choices for different effects. The number 15 you see on the LED is the number reverb I chose. As for how the reverbs compare between the three, all are comprable. The Bose is the least in that there is but one reverb and you dial it up and get what you get. Conversely the TCH and the Behringer have multiple reverb types. The TCH has 18 different EFX, six of them dedicated reverbs and the rest delays and other combos. I never delved into it that much, to tell the truth. The Behringer has a 100 different EFX, I think like 25 dedicated reverbs. I hunted around through them until I found the one that I liked the best.

No professional sound team although my sound is a pro soundman. He has yet to see my new rig. When I told him I bought the Behringer mixer he told me the best way to get good tone out of it was to dump a PBR on it! Wiseguy.

I'm actually happy people are liking the sound. The cell phone always accentuates the highs a ton and the lows are scooped out, left laying on the floor as the case may be. That's why it sounds so shrill to me on playback but in the room with the bass it's a full and beautiful sound.

Good questions, all!

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-05-2018 at 06:26 PM.