View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=Ty Ford;3941719]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post

I've been writing technical articles for trade magazines for over 20 years and was heavily involved with broadcast audio production for 17 years before that. I know Harrison.

ProTools replicates the standard analog audio console better than any other DAW software I've seen…and I've seen a lot. I've worked on SSL, Neves, and Tridents all the way down to Mackies.

The effects processing that comes with Pro Tools is impressive, but now you've jumped from GUI and architecture to subjective sound choices. I've made mine already by using outboard preamps -- GML and Millennia media and outboard A/D. That and a good mic locker makes "warming" of the sound unnecessary. Trying to use software solutions to correct hardware problems is a losing battle. The fix seldom cures the disease. It just makes it different.

Tape, pleasing? About the only thing analog tape is good for is distorting transients (rounding off by tape saturation) and that's already been done effectively with high-end AD converters.

Cheap mics and preamps (and mix busses) the likes of which are probably used too much by people who read this forum, make mixing difficult, take longer and the result is seldom as satisfying and mixing tracks with the right mics and preamps in a good space. I doubt software will bend the laws of physics enough to provide a proper solution.

I'm all for the advancement of technology. I wish you and Harrison the best with bringing your product to the market. There is a line. Let's se how you do.

Regards,

Ty Ford

I don't think Rupert is very concerned with Harrison consoles.
Can you really compare the 2 price wise? Come on mountains of difference there. on windows you need a compatible video card that in many cases is very expensive. believe me I looked into it. Another caveat, iLok. Pro Tools is what it is. You can take your sessions to just about any Professional Studio and you are Golden.
However many of us here have Home Project studios and do the best we can with our hard earned cash. Bang for buck and hopefully not regretting purchasing decisions. Yeah I doubt serious Professional Studio would ever consider Harrison MixBuss
What's with "I don't think Rupert is very concerned with Harrison consoles"?
I never implied that. Please read my post again, I thought I was clear.
Perhaps there should be a "High end" and Low end theory" like at Gearslutz.
Some of us can't afford thousands of dollars for mics and pre's, high end converters etc. I think there is nothing wrong with my lowend hardware. Example SM7b+Gap Pre-73= $650.00. That is just part of my hardware equation.
I think you overlooked an even more important component. Song and performance trumps gear in almost ever case. I am on the fence regarding Tape sims etc. I don't have any of those plugs but do use Sonimus Satson on all channels and the buss. It helps with gain staging and has lovely filters. It is subtle but collective. It does have a fat switch. I may not use Satson with Mixbuss however. You don't have to use the Analog Tape saturation in Mixbuss but this Daw just sounds good scientific or not.