View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 04:48 PM

I have a TP30-64 (640mm scale) spruce top and a Cordoba C10 Cedar. Not the same price range (a C10 can be had all day long for around $1K or sometimes a little under) but here are my thoughts.

The C10 is a nice guitar, very cleanly built, etc and a great value, especially for a gig guitar. My longtime playing partner, who gigs on nylon exclusively, used a pair of C10's (spruce and cedar) for years. MY C10 suffers the inexpensive classical bugaboo of TOO much bass (or not enough treble, I suppose) as did my playing partner's, but plugged in, they were fine. The low E in particular is just massive and overwhelms the rest of the guitar. The Pavan is beautifully balanced string to string, and is tonally just a better guitar. In fairness, the Pavan is $1,700 verses $1,000 (or less) so, as usual, there's no free lunch.

Quality of Construction is pretty similar on both, although the Pavan is noticeably lighter (no trussrod on the Pavan).

PS. My playing partner switched from his C10 about a year ago to a Hanika 54. This is a German made guitar in the $1,700 range, it is on par with a Pavan and again, a good deal better than a Cordoba (for MORE money).

All of the above is MY OPINION, as always, YMMV!
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 01-02-2019 at 02:11 PM.