View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 04:48 PM

Default DIY $10 Pedal Board

As I've been getting more into electric guitar I've started buying effects pedals, and they're sprawling across the floor in my guitar room. (Edit: I don't know how to resize pics with this new host, sorry....)

I like making stuff so today I made a board to keep them tidy.
It doesn't fit all of them, but I can always make a second one as an add-on board.

Cheap is good, so I went to Menards to get supplies.

One of the pedals I bought used already had Velcro on the back, and it's been sticking to the carpet so I got the idea to cover the board in carpet, or buy a cheap rug. Even better, I found a stair step runner for three bucks.

I cut the board to length, about a half in longer than the rug on both sides.

Then I made a curved template from Kleenex box cardboard for the handle, which i could flip over so as to duplicate the curve for symmetry.

Next, using the template I marked the location for the holes for the handle, again, flipping the template for the other hole.

Prior to drilling the holes I clamped a piece of scrap to the work so the backs of the holes wouldn't tear out, spade bits are brutal for that.

To complete the handle I needed to remove the wood between the holes, that required taking apart my coping saw so I could get into the space, and I had to rotate the blade 90 degrees to saw along the lines.

The handle shape was cut with the scroll saw, the straights were finished up on the band saw.

Next, I used a router to give a nice round edge on everything.

Then I stained the board, avoiding the area under the carpet, so the adhesive would stick better.
After the stain dried I made a mask from wax paper, which I stapled to the board to prevent adhesive overspray onto the stained areas.

The spray adhesive has been applied, I also sprayed the back of the carpet. Then they dry prior to mating, it's a contact adhesive.

Oh, I didn't take a pic but I hung up a piece of plastic as a backdrop during spraying, and I wore gloves. That stuff is messy!

After I stuck the carpet onto the board I used a post stapler and further anchored the perimeter to the board. They are virtually invisible within the carpet pile.

And here is the initial configuration; I still need to buy some more 90 degree jumper cable and I'm sure I'll move pedals around, but that's the point of Velcro. And I've got three other devices right now that don't fit, so I'm likely going to make a second identical board.

I don't gig, so I don't really need a covered pedal case, just needed to keep things organized.
I think this fits the bill!