View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Well, what was revelatory to me was

A.) How much just a minute shift in how I held the pick made so much difference in the tone;

and

B.) That a guitar that's really been my main ax for more than twenty years could sound so harsh and unfamiliar in my hands, using the same medium-heavy celluloid picks I've favored since the late 70's.

In other words, here's a well-loved and deeply familiar guitar sounding like totally different instrument, yet I'm using the same John Pearse 80/20 mediums on there that I've always used, playing it with the same gauge pick I've always used on it.

It just makes me wonder how many otherwise fine musical instruments I've dismissed not because there was anything wrong with them, but simply because I couldn't figure out how to coax the tone out of them.

Anyway, thank you for your noble offer, Tony "Mycroft" Weber, but the Baxendale Mossman 000-42 is the only guitar of mine that my daughter wants when I die, so you'll have to wrassle her for it.

And she may be a petite blue-eyed blonde, but she's smart, mean and SNEAKY, as well as being a little bossypants besides. (Her childhood nickname was "the sergeant-major...") You don't want to tangle with her, trust me!

But thanks anyway!

Wade Hampton "She Can Have My Triple O When She Pries It From My Cold, Dead Fingers" Miller