Thread: Roland AC-33
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM

I can only comment on the AC-33, having no experience with the SC. I've been using it almost weekly in a community group and most everyone comments positively about the sound.

A couple of weeks ago I used it in a smaller coffee shop (about 18'-20' wide and maybe 40' deep) which seats around 32-34 folks + the barrista area). My playing partner and I ran 2 guitars, 2 mics and a Porchboard through an 802 Mackie mixer to the AC-33. With everything set at approx. 1/2 volume, the sound was excellent, very clean and we could be heard over/through a group of 7 ladies, sitting immediately in front of us, having a very spirited conversation for 30+ minutes. Many compliments on the sound from the shop owner, several patrons and my wife, who was seated near the back of the shop and helped do the initial sound-check.

I placed the AC-33 about 6' off the floor by mounting it on my speaker stand . Used a flat mounted surface to hold the AC-33 as it is does not have a pole mount (pictures are in an earlier post). For convenience, I ran it from battery power instead of AC. Left it turned on the entire 3 hrs were playing -- I'm sure there's more than 50% power remaining (used again for 2+ hrs two nights ago in the community group, w/o re-charging).

My only complaint, is that I don't get as low of a tone as I would like with the Porchboard: Still works well, but not as "bassy" as I would like. (The Porchboard sounds better when we use the AC-90.) But, I don't want to tote around a separate bass amp or subwoofer to make it "right."

I can only say that I continue to be pleased with this product.

Ray

Last edited by Ray B; 12-02-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add info