View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Sometimes I wish I'd done a kit first just to build my confidence, but I'm satisfied with how things are progressing - though I admit that I could have closed the box in the last week. Part of the challenge lies in the bracing is not from a template so that I can scribe where to make corresponding cuts on the top of the kerfed lining. Instead, I'm using the seam of the mold as the centerline and working off that to position the top and then notch where to cut with an Exacto blade. It was even trickier with the A-Frame bracing and the neck block extension. I mulled over what to do and eventually came up with the idea to use soft charcoal to imprint the brace position on to the extension underneath:

Once marked, I simply used a pull saw and a caul to make a perpendicular cut on either edge of the imprint and then chisel out the material between:

Sure, the cuts aren't the cleanest but it would have been MUCH worse had I tried to use a power tool! This particular cut is going to require some "cosmetic surgery:"

The rest are relatively clean though and will be a non factor for when it comes time to rout (or chisel) the binding channels. For now, the plates are aligned and a dry fit of the pieces gives an idea of how well the assembly is otherwise proceeding:

Now that the furnace has begun to run with the recent change in weather they can now all live together in their hardshell case:

Next up, I need to smooth the profiles of the braces and bend a rosewood patch for the sound port. For that I am going basic and will soaking the rosewood for a day before using a clothes iron. I know it's not ideal, but this is after all just a hobby at this point.