View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz_2006 View Post
Would you say the AC4C1-BL, at the point where it's breathing, sounds preferable to the AC15C1 at the point where it's starting to think about breathing?

I mean, 15 watts for my purpose really is overkill. I know that. The question is, does the AC4 in its "target range" equal and/or surpass what the AC15 offers in less than it's target range?

If so, fantastic. I'll get one. And $400 for an AC15C1 isn't really prohibitive, so I can budget for that in the future. But this will be my only amp for a while; I want it to sound good. I know I really want the 15, but I want it with the tubes burnin', which I don't think I will achieve most of the time.

Perhaps an AC4 pushed to breaking actually fits me better for the time being. I played a Blues Jr for a long time today. And you're right about volume/tone. It did sound nice, but it had to be LOUD to sound very good. If I could get very good out of the AC4 at less than LOUD, it's probably the one for me right now. If not, then it's likely the 15.
Unfortunately, your question can only be answered by you because they're your ears. To me, the AC4C1 sounds pretty darn good when it's pushed. Mine is 100% stock right now and I plan on upgrading tubes and either going with a 10" Greenback speaker or also getting the V112NT 12" cab as an extension to give me more flexibility in playing to a larger room. So there are options in sweetening up the tone even more than the stock configuration.

I would add that many of us buy tube amps that are too powerful on the first go-around. I know I did. I have a 40w Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that hasn't had the dust cover off it in months. I've never gotten the volume pot above 3 because it's just that loud. It was (and is) waaaay too much amp for my purposes, but I didn't realize that 6 years ago. So maybe there's some merit to buying small and then upgrading later.

Personally, it sounds like the AC15 is what you really want and I think you can make the AC15 work. But the AC4C1 is also a low-risk purchase. It's a very versatile little amp that would easy to sell if you got it and a year later decided on the AC15.

Which reminds me, you do know Guitar Center has a 30-day return policy, right? If they have both in stock, why not buy one and take 29 days to decide which you like?
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage