View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
On the software side: Work done on newer ProTools versions are not playable on older ones.
Sorry man that's just plain wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Then there's cost. I know one person who put over $20K into a Mac/ProTools rig that he can't get $250 for today even though it works perfectly.
The assumption here is at 20k it must be an HD system. An HD system's cost is almost entirely hardware based. It has virtually NOTHING to do with Mac vs PC. If that person you know can only get $250.00 out of his Mac based HD system...have him give me a call as those systems (even the old "Mix" systems) are still extremely powerful.

OTOH my first software based system (way back 1999 maybe??) was one of Gateway's first push into the market chasing Dell, or at least that's how I remember it. I'm positive that the Gateway with SCSI hard drives was well into the $2500.00 dollar range. That and Cubase at the time was about $550.00. The REAL kicker was I choose Lexicons first attempt at sound cards as my interface. I'm thinking that too was close to $500.00. $3500.00 in 1999 money was a burdensome investment. That system was utterly and completely obsolete within the year and in truth never did work very well.

If of course the argument is someone purchased an old "Mix System" for 20K and now 15 years later discovers the system has devalued and further did not take advantage of any of Digi's EXTREMELY liberal upgrade paths then the burden must fall squarely on his shoulders. AsI said earlier those are still viable recording solutions that at $250.00 represent the steal of the century. They may not be upgradable but still very decent 48 track recording systems.

If the person of whom you speak dumped 20K into a PT LE system then the numbers are horrendously skewed from the get go.

In the end the market as it sits is fairly square. There are fabulous PC based recording systems that are far better than most have engineering skills. Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, Cool Edit, Vegas....they're all beyond fabulous. That in fact is well...a fact.

That said I can guarantee you IF a PC based hardware/software solution was available that out performed the HD/Mac based systems of the last ten years I'd of LONG been all over it.

I'm a big supporter of using whatever computer or software works best for the user but the old "PT and Mac based systems are rip-offs" argument is old and ill informed.