View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Gents, very much appreciate the kind support. Seems like we three are riding that same train. Funny but I got pretty far into the syncopated version and then ground to a halt where it changes to the E chord ("please don't tell what train I'm on"). Had a hard time coordinating the syncopation while keeping that thumb going. But just this afternoon, I had a break through with it. The "click" felt good. But then off to the next phrase (F chord) which uses the thumb to make the low F in the alternating bass. Man, my thumb, which has a bit of arthritis, just does not like that, especially when I try to move the pinky. But it will come. It always does.

David, I share your enthusiasm and confidence, and apprecaite your thoughts. I keep reminding myself - baby steps. To your point, having a musical past is an advantage in some ways. But a curse in others. I have expectations as a seasoned musician, given my proficiency with wind instruments. It has been hard to let that go and accept that I am in a different universe now. Baby steps...

SPG, always good to hear from you. I totally get what you are saying about the muscle memory thing. When I finally get that rhythm going, the last thing I want to do is think about what I am doing. That is when I start messing up and regressing. Baby steps....don't think about walking.

OK, I reread my initial post. I guess I was whiney. But at 65, I sometimes feel that I am just starting a race that others my age are finishing, usually due to medical issues. I just have to reorient my perspective. Small races that can be finished every day. Then nothing will be left unfinished.

Best to you, boys. Stays safe and healthy.
David