View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
That’s such a good one for the repertoire. I’ve read that Mason Williams intended it to be an exercise. I’m not sure which version I studied, because he recorded it in 1968 and again in 1970, and I just looked for it on YouTube. I think the version I ended up using shows him playing it with an orchestra for some kind of TV show, and it might not even be a “real” performance. Anyway, if you ever want to start a thread on that, I can provide some input.

One of the things I’ve been working on lately is Lulu’s Back in Town in standard tuning in C (works well in D, too). Not really learning it, as I’ve already got it all worked out. There’s only one unusual chord and there’s nothing special about the picking part (fingerstyle), but I run out of strength after playing the whole thing through just a few times, so that’s what I’m working on.
I'm learning and memorizing Classical Gas myself right now. Thank God several of the themes repeat themselves, or it would be even more of a bear than it is. I'm working on the second theme right now, which is the most difficult, up to the 8th fret. Using Jerry's guitar bar to learn the song.

Originally I started learning it years ago transcribed by a guitar instructor from the release that uses an ochestra which kind of drowns out the guitar in parts. Looking back he improvised due to that, but now you can easily listen to the entirely instrumental version on Youtube. Back then, (over 30 years ago) we tried to find the entirely instrumental track and couldn't find it.

Just read Mike Post is the one that made it partly ochestrial for release and one of the Smothers Brothers wasn't happy with that. He told him his version "*ucked." LOL Then apologized later. I think for us guitar purists I can see where the Smother's brother (Can't remember which one it was) was coming from. I can' speak for others here, but I prefer to hear it entirely on guitar.

Here's an interesting piece on the article. Not sure if that is where I read about the Smother's brother comment:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimclas...e%2074%20shows.

Last edited by Cecil6243; 03-28-2021 at 09:07 PM.