View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I didn't realize the AT2020 was medium diaphragm. So I'm guessing it's 3/4"? I routinely do audio post for a podcast where the voice talent uses an AT2020. I think it does very well as a voice over mic. It could be smoother, but it's more than adequate. Audio-Technica tends to offer a lot of value.

That said, Rode has been competing with mics many times their price since they started. I still remember when they hit the scene with the original NT1. It was competing with the U87...and while it was a little rougher around the edges...it was a $200 mic that was coming darn close to the $1800 (at the time) studio standard.
The AT2020 uses a 5/8" diameter diaphragm.

I will agree that back electret technology has been cited as being generally improved from what it was innitially, although I still have read that the self-noise is still considered generally higher than a "true" condenser requiring polarizing voltage.

It does seem like the companies who are known for producing great mics using back electret capsules (DPA, Earthworks, etc.) often have price tags that are closely mirrored with their capabilities. Rode (a company I like very much) seems like they are getting good press for mics like the M5, but I'm always suspicious by nature.

Maybe you no longer have to adhere to that "Low Price, Great Sound, High Quality... pick any two you like" adage.

Last edited by Rudy4; 10-14-2017 at 01:58 PM.