View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I have not made this type of switch but since I have been building and repairing guitars for 25 years now I have helped many who wanted to make the switch and convinced others to NOT make the switch. How? Through good set up work and light gauge strings. IT may not work for you but it may be worth a try too. So My questions would be what acoustic guitar are you making the switch from and when was the last time it was professionally set up? What gauge strings are you using? And so on.

I am in fact setting up a 60's Martin now for a gentleman about your age who has switched to playing electric guitars with 8 gauge strings. I'm setting those up for him as well. But he still wants to see if he can get the old Martin playable. It's a Dred which is probably not the best choice but I will refret it, resurface the fret plane perfectly. Recut the nut and set it up with super low action and ten gauge strings.

Again it may not work out for him. A Strat with 8 gauge strings is certainly going to be easier to play but if you really don't want to throw in the towel on acoustic guitars there is a chance you don't have to if you get good set up work done on it.

Otherwise rock on! Electric guitars are super fun
Agree with this. Sure-play the strat for its own thing. But meanwhile, have your acoustics set up for ease of play- flat neck profile, lower action-including possibly cutting the nut slots lower, and lighter strings. Those 00s you have will be fine with .011 or even lighter, especially if you are willing to tolerate some fret buzz (which, I would be willing to bet, your strat has). Your tone will be affected but will still be an actual acoustic sound.