View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbanjo View Post
Man I cant stand tommy emmanuel, his music is repetitive and he tries to do chet's style and just blows it
Whether you like Tommy or not is one thing but to say he "blows it" just exposes your own ignorance . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbanjo View Post
And for the record I'm pretty amazing at the guitar... you know... if nobody already told you.....
No, no one has told me . . . and I suspect that no one will . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
If all these folks who say "Tommy E just blows me away". If they could have heard Lenny,, who was at the very very least
Tommy Emmanuels equal, but much different style of music of course.
Yup, Lenny was something pretty special. I had the opportunity to meet and hear him a number of times and to study with him. I have never heard anyone who could play so many styles of music so well. Country, Classical, Atkins style, flamenco, jazz. For all of you who are impressed with Tommy's use of harmonics - that came from Lenny. Lenny also took Chet's thing of sounding like 2 players at once to another level.
Lenny's first record, Guitar Sounds has recently been reissued and it should be required listening for every guitar player. Another very nice record is Standard Brands which has Lenny and Chet doing duets.
Lenny was also a very generous teacher in showing and explaining what he did and how he approached things. I read an interview with Tommy where he tells about meeting Chet for the first time at Chet's house and Chet tells him to go upstairs that there is someone there he should meet. As he is walking up the stairs Tommy says he heard the most amazing guitar playing. Lenny was upstairs and the 3 of them proceeded to play for a while.
Man, to have been a fly on that wall!

Aaron

Last edited by trion12; 06-07-2007 at 06:15 AM.