View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Also know that hearing those slight differences that others can't can be a real burden. I (and others with me in a studio) have heard professional mic cables make a difference in the sound of a mic.
I think some of this a matter of training and knowing what to listen for. I've never heard any difference in various cables (other than broken ones), but maybe I don't know what to listen for. Fran sent me a video camera comparison a while back, and on my first pass thru, I saw no difference in the two videos. Then the reviewer pointed out various parts of the picture and how each camera was responding differently, and suddenly it was so obvious I don't know how I could have missed it. But it was stuff around the edges of the main focus - I was watching the storyline, the people in the video, not how light was reflecting off walls, or emanating from a light bulb.

Even with audio, you have choices of where to put your attention. I'm working on a CD I'm trying to get released, and my wife came in a few days ago, shaking her head over one of the tunes. I say "what?". She says "you don't hear all those noises?". No, I hear no noises. Then she points them out - "Oh, you mean those really loud noises that are completely covering up the guitar?" :-) I was focused on things like did I play the right notes, how much reverb did I have, and completely missed this particular noise. My brain just bypassed it because it wasn't what I was listening for at the moment. It usually works the other way - I'm going, "do you hear how different these guitars sound?", and she'll say "Nope, they both sound like guitars"