View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

I know exactly how you feel and welcome to the world of instrumental music. I play the same styles you mentioned and have experienced the same in every place I have played, except for nursing homes and private performances for friends. People are usually a product of the situation/environment and sometimes worse. Example, at church playing a prelude as people gather in the sanctuary, often some listen and others talk through or over the music. During the service, it is quiet.

The less the audience is part of the music the less attention they typically pay. Audiences are more connected to songs with vocals and especially those familiar to them.

I once chose a balcony seat at a Tommy Emmanuel concert and pretty much observed the same thing from numerous audience members.

There is an increasing lack of appreciation by many people for various art and music forms outside the mainstream.

As far as how I take it:

I quipped once that my contract(I not a professional) states that I play but there are no guarantees that people will hear of even listen to me.

I am placing effort into adding some more vocals into my performances.

What I do appreciate is I love playing guitar and sharing music, and that there are people who enjoy my music. There are a lot of people who aspire for that.