Thread: "Tree" talk
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Not sure if it's here or on the UMGF but I hear that Martin grade their wood on the basis of aesthetics.

I also read somewhere that the D100 isn't ten times better than the D45, which in turn isn't twice as good sounding as the D42.

Crazy how people are ready to invest a lot of money for features that in reality don't do much to the sound.
I agree with you.

Martin's upcharge for BRZ doesn't jive with the individual luthier's price quote IMHO. It is totally incongruous that a D45A costs 50k MSLP and one can buy a '59 D28E off ebay for 5K and have the martin repair shop turn it into a D45. I don't know what they would charge but it would probably be less than 10k.

I guess people buying a D45A are also buying collectibility.

The luthier builds I have in progress have both at one time or another crossed the discussion of BRZ, and I ended up going with Madagascar on the 00028 because I liked the look of the sets better, I've played a Madi 00028 before and loved it, and It's coming from Sweden so no CITES issues. I also discussed BRZ with Wingert and ended up going with AB.

Anyhoo, back on topic....I believe the market price for Tree sets has room for all kinds of different variations and only time will tell.