View Single Post
Old 11-25-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
I just ordered two of them. The free shipping pushed me over the edge...
Don't know what you're thinking once they arrive, but here's some of my thoughts:
  • As I said above the tubes are the weak link - you'll want to change them out for something better ASAP; that said, the Infinium circuitry is indeed self-biasing, but only to a point - I wouldn't go too radical in terms of re-biasing requirements (ultra-high/low headroom power tubes). I'm presently using the aforementioned set above from thetubestore.com - great bunch of people, very knowledgeable, and I'd recommend speaking with them one-to-one before you make the move...
  • Continuing on that train of thought, the V22 responds well to DIY tweaks: while I've got my first-gen version set up to duplicate the feel of a mid-60's "Key Club" blue-check Ampeg Gemini II/B-12XT (high-headroom power tubes - mine has manual bias - matched-triode preamp tubes, ultra-high-efficiency/extended range Eminence Swamp Thang speaker), by playing around with different tube brands/specs and speaker make/type/efficiency you can achieve a broad range of British and/or American tones - which allows for genre/gig-specific amp tuning, or some interesting options if you like running in stereo...
  • When (not if - voice of experience here ) you start modding, bear in mind that the pentode/triode switch not only attenuates power to home-friendly levels, but opens up a whole spectrum of new tones of its own (mostly of the pre-Top Boost Vox variety with my current setup - specific tube/speaker combinations will change that); while I'm a summa cum loudly graduate of the Hard Knocks Experiential School of Electric Guitar Tone (Class if 1966) - as a kid in the days before stompboxes I learned in the church-basement/schoolyard-dance/legion-hall trenches what works and what doesn't - I'd plan out beforehand where I want to go with one or both amps, as things can get both frustrating and expensive should you make the wrong purchases...
  • Finally, advice is nice (regardless of source), but you're the ultimate arbiter of what works best for you - choose and experiment wisely, and IME you'll have a rig that will provide you with pro-quality tone for a lifetime...
Use them well, often and LOUD...