View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 02:20 AM

I think someofwhat people are hearing in this, beside thetappy stuff, and tricks,like that stuff or not....I get a sense that many feel there is a certain sterility to the recording.

Quite frankly I could agree on that, it's almost as if the recording is "too" good "too" clean.

there is virtually no natural dynamics , no natural amplitude changes, one may say sterile,or robotic

This is often times a thing that in the past was levied against Asian violin players who were accused of playing the music so perfectly and cleanly yet somehow lacking "feeling" ...Very much like people not of the western culture trying their hand at it, being precise tacticians, but because they are not of the culture, some elements were lost in translation.

I personally don't feel that was the case, and racism or cultural difference may have played a part in that summary,it's certainly not the case today, as many of the top players are of Asian decent and play with plenty of feeling...

I guess the reason I bring it up is that we knowingly or unknowingly seek "naturalness" in a performance and recording where it sounds technically perfect, no mistakes, but we want to hear the dynamics also, when those dynamics get "air brushed" over with perfect electronic recordings smoothing everything out it can become "soul less" sounding.

So that may be an unsaid "thing" that many may be hearing, the recording or final cut is "too" good