View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

My right hand technique is frequently closer to traditional classical guitar technique than anything else.

I also use some flamenco techniques that I learned from a year of studying the basics of flamenco with a flamenco guitarist.

I also flatpick with my index (plastic, crazy glue and Swiss Silk reinforced) fingernail, by holding my thumb and finger as if holding a flatpick.

Since studying both hand anatomy and the sensory and motor homunculi, and noting all that Django Reinhardt achieved with just 2 fingers on his left hand, I have consciously shifted to aiming for naturally doing more with less with both hands, which for the right hand means using the ring finger and pinky less. Works well for me.

Sometimes I use only thumb and index finger, usually using the index finger to strum both down and up strokes, which may sometimes be embellished with rasguedo like strums.

I could go on. But, really, one of the nice things about the guitar is that you can do anything that you can imagine, and that there are players all over the world using all kinds of right and left hand techniques for wonderful musical effects.