View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 11:02 AM

I will tell you as much as I can about my 12er. For starters this is NOT the Amicus. It does not sound like a toy 12 string like the Amicus. I had that one for a week and sent it back. Then I had the Artisan built for me since I wanted the fuller tone and larger body, neck, depth, etc. Make no mistake, this is not a Olson Jumbo 12 string. The tone is different and thats why I like it. I am not selling it because I don't like it. I love it, everything about it. It will be very hard to see it go. I am only selling to thin the heard here. Its the only reason and without going into detail, thats what is behind my choice to let this beauty go. I am also selling some other guitars that I have for the same purpose. There is absolutely nothing that I dislike about this Artisan Woody 12er. In fact, as it sits right here at my desk (no humidification required), I would love to keep it.

About sound clips. I totally get what you are saying. I think sound clips usually suck. I was just listening to some this morning and sure enough, they suck. I use some nice speakers but they still suck. So providing sound clips, in my opinion, is a waste of time.

I have tried to describe the tone but you know, its nearly impossible to use words to describe something our ears hear. Its like trying to describe air.
The tone is balanced. By that I mean all the strings are heard equally. The tone is also clear and not muddy at all. Even the bass strings (5 and 6) are very clear and ring out. You can use this for playing Eagles and other cover tunes famous for the sound of the 12 string. I have done that and had great reactions from audiences. I ran it through some chorusing and a little delay and people were blown away. Besides being very curious about the appearance of the guitar, its looks and build, people love the sound and so do I. Its different than the jumbo 12 we are all so used to hearing.....and I like that. Its a unique instrument in every way.

I had the Lyric put in at my request. As it turns out, Alistair loves the Lyric and what it does to this guitar. It seems to accurately represent every note and string and yet does not amplify any string or frequency more than others. For example, the Amicus is very very emphasized in the high strings with very little mids or lows. And by the way, the Lyric is passive and does not require a battery but it does have a volume control at the sound hole. Its virtually invisible since its brown and matches the guitar perfectly. Your cord will connect through the end pin.

Ask me questions, any questions. Like you, I have to have a good fair explanation of what I buy in the music world. I play out professionally and only own the good stuff. This guitar sure fits in that bracket...totally custom, crazy awesome tone, easy to play, phenomenal appearance and very response to a light touch. I use a flat pick but unlike most, play with a light touch and therefore require guitars that respond fully to that type of touch. This neck allows for finger style or flat pick. I have done both with great success, or so says my audiences. Oh yea, one more thing. This guy would be a great travel companion. Its very light due to the carbon fiber and a smaller in stature than a full size jumbo. Who wants to carry that thing around.

I know I will regret selling this. For the money, its worth so much more. Its one that I will one day say, 'It got away'. But life goes on and I need to pass this to someone who will love it as I do but in their own unique way. Maybe thats you.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo