View Single Post
Old 11-17-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
What are everyone's feelings on leaving guitars in their cases vs hanging them in a proper display case and using good hygrometers to monitor.

Thanks.

daniel
It's more or less the same thing if both are reasonably able to maintain a steady humidity level. I have one nice acoustic and I keep it in a display case at home about 8-9 months per year. It's right at my playing area, so it's almost as handy as just hanging it on a wall hook - I have to open and close and latch the cabinet when I take it out / put it back, but it's considerably quicker than getting a case out, opening it, getting the guitar out and putting it back in, arranging the humidipaks each time, closing and latching it, and putting it away. With the display case, the humidipaks just sit at the bottom of the case and keep the case humidified, but I don't have to move them except to change them very occasionally.

We spend 3-4 months each winter down south near our daughter and stay in a place we rent. No display cabinet there, obviously, so when the humidity dictates, I leave the acoustic in the case with humidipaks. But I generally leave the case laying on a bed or table, so it saves time relative to getting the case in and our of a rack or closet each time I want to play. And when humidity allows, I just keep the guitar on a rack during the day, where it's that much easier to just grab.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 11-18-2020 at 08:40 AM.