View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 09:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson 2021- Coming Up For Air

Hey, everybody! As usual, there's a lot happening here in the AGF Custom Shop. After more than a year of being even more of a hermit than I usually am, due to the worst pandemic in living memory, I decided it was finally time to crawl out into the daylight and toss my hat in the ring. I have a lot of pots on the stove, so to speak, and some exciting projects coming down the pike. Some commissioned builds are in the works, and two (maybe three, if I have time) spec builds that I'm working on, in the run up to Tom's B.I.G. show in the first week of September. That will surely be the event of the year for a lot of us.

I love doing spec builds, because that's where I get to stretch out and try some new ideas and processes... or just follow my whimsey with some new designs. This is the laboratory workshop segment of being a luthier. Continue evolving the guitars, refining the architecture, honing the craft, and renewing the passion for this work over and over again. I'm grateful to Tom for inviting me into the B.I.G. Return show, and giving me not only the reason,. but the imperative to build a couple guitars on my dime for the show. A little later, I'll feature those guitars...

I'm starting off this new thread with some photos of a commissioned guitar, so far a built sound box, ready for the neck construction, which I'm building for Tim B., who already owns two other Edwinson guitars. The pressure is on to outdo the previous two, or at the very least, equal them. This guitar is my largest model, the EP Performance SC, which is equivalent to a GA or SJ size. It is destined to be a multiscale Baritone, with a scale spread of 26.5"- 27.25". The primary woods are Cococbolo for the back and sides, and a superb German Spruce top. The bindings and trim are Mexican Katalox, with flamed maple elements and blue veneer lines. I'm using a new mosaic design for the rosette, end graft, segmented back inlay, and a few other elements in the neck that I will show later on. I am currently getting the neck construction lined up for this guitar, and James Klotz's Eclipse build, featured in THIS thread.

Here are some photos of Tim's guitar, minus the neck:

Thanks for looking... And stay tuned for more. I would like to keep this thread going for awhile, as Mark and Bruce do, to keep a running documentary of this year's work.