Thread: dream setup?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
I do have an amp, so I'd be able to just hit the switch and sling the tele on and be done with it. Maybe start a set so I only have to switch once, vs. twice.

I'll check out the things you mention!

What do you think of hybrid acoustic electric guitars? I tried out my friends on stage and it's great, like a ESP something or other...semi hollow, but I found it hard to "dig into it" (over responsive), yet it didn't quite have the full feel of electric. I almost think I'm going to stay with my stiff stringed Taylor and go do Eb tuning and tweak or eliminate "solos"
I am roughly the same age as you and the thought of loading in an extra guitar and an amp makes my back twinge ��. But I do like the idea of looping an acoustic chord sequence and the soloing over it with electric tones. That's why I went for what I consider the easiest option.
I use a PRS Hollowbody 2 which as both a piezo out and humbuckers out. Piezo goes into the VoicelivePlay Acoustic where the sound receives some compression, eq, reverb, plus a tad of detune. This makes the tone whilst not the same as a mic'd up acoustic, an excellent substitute. This signal also provides auto key for the vocal harmonies. It is also available for looping.
A turn of a guitar knob and the humbuckers come into play with the signal going into the Atomic Amps Firebox, which is the size of an average pedal and fits on the board. This provides not only up to 9 amp simulations but also, reverb, delay, eq, compression etc.
Both signals then go direct to the mixer if I am playing a venue that provides a PA or in a venue that doesn't (usually smaller) straight into the back of a Yamaha 10inch speaker, set high and behind me.
I have tried other hybrid guitars live such as Tom Anderson Crowdster plus and the less expensive Godin and both were excellent.
I will always have GAS but this has been my set up for the last couple of years and can't see it changing much in the near future.
All the best Steve
(If you want to see my set up and other thoughts on gigging you can find me on Twitter @The_WaveWatcher)
If you want to see a master of using a hybrid guitar as a solo act check out John Monnecka on YouTube or his live feeds on Facebook

Last edited by steve_mac; 09-03-2019 at 02:49 AM.