View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
...How does the V55 do as a relatively quiet practice amp? I may be asking the impossible, but I'd like to buy one amp for both practice and playing out...
If you've never played a tube amp, be advised that 55 watts is a lot of power - we're talking 1000+ seat halls and outdoor gigs here - and while it's true that the late Les Paul used to play small clubs with a 100W silverface Twin (I've seen him do it) he was using low-impedance/low-power pickups to achieve a super-clean tone; considering he's the guy who arguably invented modern electric guitar I'd give him a pass here. For us lesser mortals, IME the V22 should be all you need in a dual-purpose amp - the multiple gain/volume control points allow you to achieve a full tone at virtually any level, and the pentode/triode switch not only shifts the amp into a different power range but provides a whole different set of sonic possibilities (loosely speaking, think mid-60's Fender/Ampeg "American" versus pre-Top Boost Vox "British"); as I said above I not only use mine for general at-home practice but also for halls up to 600-700 people with no problem, clean or dirty as you wish. FYI GC had it on the floor a couple days ago fir $349 brand-new - the street price when I bought mine back in 2010 - so if you're serious this might be a good time to do the deal...