View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Given the choice between a new V55 Infinium and a used Fender Hot Rod Deville 60W 2x12 at about the same cost, which way would you go?
Tough choice - comparable power, similar features, and I've played both; I'd say it narrows down to whether you prefer the sonic "spread" of a 2x12" cab, need the compactness of a 1x12" for smaller stages, prefer vintage versus modern cosmetics (the Bugera draws heavily from both Egnater and Bad Cat), or find the tone stack of one or the other is a better match for your instrument/style (I'm also a Gretsch player and while there are definite differences, I don't consider one "better" than the other). There is, however, a real advantage in the Bugera's Infinium circuitry - tube changes are a plug-&-play proposition, whereas a bias job (around $100 in my neck of the woods) is required when you change tubes in the DeVille - so if you plan to do some experimenting with tubes (FYI there are tonal differences between different makes/vintages that knowledgeable players use to good advantage) or just want to save a few bucks in the long run, the V55 might be a good choice...