View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Thanks to those who have already responded! Keep them coming if there are others.

I already own an OF660 and will be flying for the first time with it next month and can't really 100% evaluate this guitar until I fly with it. Since I've had it I've only broken it down maybe 5 times as I keep it in a nice gigbag for normal use. I love that you can break it down for flying though- simply hard to beat. I've had it for 9 months and so far I think I really like it.

I ask because I've been lurking Emerald's website lately. I love smallish guitars and that is all I've had for about the last 4 years.However, I'm wavering between an X7 and an X20. I know the X20 is a big guitar and that kind of breaks my small guitar rule, but I've heard it feels smaller than most full sized guitars due to the ergonomic construction. I've already come to appreciate the arm and rib bevels for sure with that feature on the OF660! To say they are wonderful would be an understatement. The X20 also sounds better to my ears (*only what I hear in videos, and I actually prefer the sound of the original X7 based on these same videos-FWIW).

I have a 2 guitar rule that I've been strict with over the years- the only time I ever had three, one was for sale. I've always wanted to at least try an Emerald and, with all the mostly positive reviews here, would consider a purchase.

Having said all that; I have 2 guitars. One is a Martin Dread Jr and the other is the OF660- both "travel" guitars. In order to get an Emerald I would have to sell at least one of those. However, I really like that little OF660 and it has become my go-to, even over the D Jr., so that seems the direction I'm leaning. Problem is I could make almost twice as much selling the OF660 used.

If you already have 2 small guitars and were deciding between an X7 and X20 What would you do? BTW I would go with a standard model-no woody and no pickup, and no HSC. That would help save me some cash.