View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Default First amateur scratch guitar build, continued: cedar/mahogany medium jumbo

Since the other thread surpassed 300 posts it's time to continue the discussion in a new thread. To sum up, I'm a first timer at building a guitar with very little experience working with wood and I've decided to be ambitious by not even purchasing the molds, templates and other jigs that would make the process easier.

Thanks as always though go to Kitchen Guitars who's graciously allowed me access to his workshop and tools and has provided me with the vast majority of tone woods to work with.

Well, I started last August so it's been over a year and I've made LOTS of mistakes but I'm at a point where I'm making good progress. Here's where I am right now:

1: I've completed the sides assembly which is about 95% ready to accept the top and back.

2: I have a partially braced the top:

3: I have a back that's not quite ready for bracing yet:

I have a plan for next time but experience is teaching me that even the best laid plans can suffer delays - so I won't jinx them by getting specific!