View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 10:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlmJn View Post
I bought a nice piece of Mahogany a few years in an estate sale in Kalamazoo. 4"x17"by 6.5 ft. Sold off at the Gibson auction in 1984 and put away in a garage. I wandered into the garage saw it with some 12/4 Walnut and Cherry that I had no interest in at the price being asked. But the "unknown" plank was yelling very loudly, "Take me home". There were also some nice scraps of BRZ large enough for a few bridges priced at $1ea. One of my better wood buying days.
Good for you! It’s really great to actually find treasure when you’re on a treasure hunt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Yummy stuff and great stories too! What is not to like?

You Luthiers are modern alchemists. You turn beautiful wood into music.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul. I’ll admit when it comes to woods I’m a sucker for a good story. That may be part of what attracts to domestic woods. It puts you closer to the story of the wood. Sometimes you are talking to the author of the story behind the wood you get to build a guitar out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
I love the idea of using domestic wood - that olive looks brilliant, and would love to hear it.

Over here in the U.K. I know of a couple of builders using all domestic woods for some guitars...haven’t got to try one of them yet either....but it definitely appeals to me.

D
Thanks for commenting Damian. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed the first time you play a well made domestic woods guitar!

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright